Founder and Principal
- Creating growth strategies to produce real and sustainable revenues and enhance valuation
- Identifying high-value, non-obvious distribution strategies
- Cutting through “the noise” to get to what matters
- Merging technologies to solve new and more valuable problems
- Negotiating to maximize the value of relationships and channels
Timothy is an expert in growth and revenue strategy development, revenue protection, fraud identification and reduction, innovation, and increasing corporate valuation. He has a proven ability to consistently deliver strong and sustainable results to help companies by creating market-leading growth strategies, streamlining costs, and building productive teams. Timothy has worked for Fortune 500 companies, medium-sized high-tech, and startup organizations.
RESULTS are a hallmark of Timothy’s career. For more than 30 years, he has been providing leadership and hands-on contributions to the Financial Services, Healthcare, Banking, Automotive, Publishing, Manufacturing, Telecommunications, Analytics, Education, Gaming, Broadcasting, Consumer Products, Retail, and Entertainment segments to grow revenues, increase margins, and protect market share.
- Grew revenues by $35M for HNC Software by identifying and completing three acquisitions and by broadening service offerings to enable entry into new vertical markets
- Increased company valuation by 61% for software firm while providing interim leadership, developing and implementing marketing and distribution plans for the interactive self-service space
- Reduced net bad debt by 25% for BellSouth, US WEST Communications, and AirTouch (Verizon Wireless) by developing applications and processes that significantly reduced fraud and non-payment
- Delivered $31M in savings to MIH Inc. by implementing an exit strategy for a distressed subsidiary, and by reducing staff by 300 people, eliminating dead-end products, and closing unprofitable operations on multiple continents in less than eight months
- Played a key role in 4 IPOs (Nextel, First Virtual, NeoPath and US WEST NewVector) and three start-ups (EnCom, First Virtual, and Sprint PCS)
- Created revolutionary point-of-sale credit scoring and customer account activation systems and processes that reduced application decision time from weeks to seconds at BellSouth and US WEST NewVector (N.K.A. Verizon Wireless)
- Participated in the creation of or co-authored 7 US Patents for clients. Filed applications for an additional three; one for the use of analytics for predicting prescription drug fraud, the second for small business trade credit, and the third for consumer-centric data handling and processing
CERTIFICATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
CMC – Certified Management Consultant
Certified Credit Executive (CCE)
Certified Consumer Credit Executive (CCCE)
NACM – National Association of Credit Management
FCIB – Association of Executives in Finance, Credit and International Business
Software San Diego and Committee Member
CommNexus – San Diego Telecom Council
SDVG – San Diego Venture Group
Listen to Timothy discuss growth strategy initiatives with Frank Long of Rehab Magazine, May 1, 2015.
Timothy has been responsible for new product ideation, revenue strategy initiatives, and process/service improvements for companies that have included:
AirTouch (Verizon Wireless), Alcatel Lucent, Ameritech (now AT&T), AT&T, Awarepoint, Bell Atlantic (Verizon), BellSouth,Car and Driver Magazine Company, CMS Energy Corporation, Cogent Research, Comcast, Convergys, Discover Card, Ryzex, Dun & Bradstreet, Edgeware Analytics, EDS (now HP), Education Systems Exchange, (now Education Systems, Inc.), Ericsson Hewlett-Packard Telecom (EHPT), Experian, FICO-Fair Isaac, Inc., First Virtual Holdings/Message Media (acquired by DoubleClick, now Google), CompuCredit, Fujitsu NTS, General Electric, Versatile Systems, Georgia Gas & Electric, ProfitLine, General Motors, GTE, H&R Block, HyGreen, Incepta Ventures, LLC, Hallmark Cards, IntelliDOT Corporation, Intuit-Quicken Division, Iridium North America, JP Morgan Chase, Lansing School District, Mazda, MediSync, MGM Grand Entertainment, Microsoft, Mindport (now Irdeto), Multiple Zones International, NeoPath, Inc., Nextel, Nortel, On*Star, Onyx Technologies (now FICO), Orange Telecommunications, Pacific Bell (now AT&T), Equifax, PCS PrimeCo (now part of AT&T ), ProfitLine, Qwest Communications, ROAM Data, Saturn, Scripps Health, Sears, Southwestern Bell Mobile, Sprint, Star-21 Networks GmbH (an investment of Bechtel, GE Capital and Nortel), The Credit Policy Group, TuffRax, US WEST Communications (now Qwest), Vash Designs, Verizon Wireless, VerRx, Versatile Systems, VisionTree Healthcare Solutions,The Walt Disney Company, TruDiagnostics, WD-40 Company, Patientsafe Solutions, Alzheimer’s Association,TeleTracking, NFC Data, and Xhale.
BOARD POSITIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Board Member (Advisory): Awarepoint, Cogent Research
Keynote speaker on credit automation and fraud prevention topics
Lecturer on business at Georgia State University and Telecom Divestiture at University of Michigan Law School
Facilitator and Presenter for Software San Diego on Revenue Generation topics
Corporate Officer & Director for CMS Energy, the nation’s 4th largest gas & electric provider (at 31 years of age)
Director for the Bell System (at 23 years of age, the youngest director in their history)
Business Advisor for the William J. von Liebig Center for Entrepreneurism, Jacobs School of Engineering, UCSD
US WEST President’s Award recognized for net bad debt reduction
US WEST Council of Leaders Award recognized for implementing digital imaging
National Association of Credit Managers Award recognized for leadership in credit automation
Named Telecom Professional of the Year (1999) by Telecom Business Magazine
Globe Award for Most Innovative Billing Approach, delivered by Joan Collins in Cannes, France
General Motors Innovators Award for opening GM’s metallurgy laboratories to GM’s competitors as an outsourcing option
AREAS OF CURIOSITY
How things work
Why people do what they do
Where is money going to be spent
Why businesses do what they do
How will technology be used to change revenue models
Finding the non-obvious
In his various revenue strategy engagements, Timothy has introduced product marketing and product management disciplines; overseen branding, imaging, messaging, market communications, sales support, sales training, and product rollouts; managed day-to-day operations; overseen setup of corporate offices and headquarters; managed transition of offices; managed vendor relationships, organizational development, staffing, and human resources; and developed risk-management products for the telecommunications industry.
In 2000, Timothy was engaged as acting Vice President of Strategic Marketing and Business Development for MIH, an international conglomerate specializing in broadband services and solutions. Timothy was responsible for moving the company and its assets from Amsterdam in The Netherlands to the US to Carlsbad, CA. Timothy helped MIH leverage a rich technical heritage, pursue new business opportunities in digital rights management (DRM), in order to become more market-focused and client-driven, and fix declining revenues and ineffective product strategies in key subsidiaries. Timothy was responsible for exploring, defining, prototyping, and test marketing new and innovative products and services. He also sought out, negotiated, and closed major acquisitions, and managed patents, trademarks, and other forms of intellectual property for both existing and new products. On behalf of the company, Timothy negotiated and paid off $47M in unsecured debt for $6M in cash.
Prior to forming The Gendreau Group in 1989, Timothy spent 10 years focusing on process improvement, customer care, credit, and revenue assurance management. Timothy headed customer service groups of more than 5600 people at US WEST (now Qwest Communications), US WEST International and US WEST NewVector Group (now Verizon). In recognition of his leadership in the telecommunications and credit management industries, Timothy received US WEST’s Council of Leaders Award in 1992 and again 1993, US WEST’s President’s Award in 1992, and the National Association of Credit Managers recognized Timothy as an Industry Leader in 1992. Timothy is an active member of the Software San Diego; a steering committee member for the Investor Conference and leads SDSIC’s Bulls Eye sales coaching events.
As an instructor for University of California at San Diego Connect, University of Michigan Law School, Georgia State University, and Michigan State University, Timothy brought real business experience and case studies to academia.